WebEditor2009 – Installation Instructions
Many thanks for your interest in WebEditor2009. This tool lets you edit your website online as if you were using an ordinary word processor. No programming skills are necessary.
- The setup video is a step-by-step guide to installation.
- FAQs – frequently asked questions.
- Download the WebEditor2009 manual as an Adobe PDF document (342 K)
- Visit our support pages
- Need a hand? We provide free installation support for your WebEditor2009 package – including the demo version, of course. Just send us a support ticket, and we'll get right back to you.
Quick StartInstalling WebEditor2009 is very easy:
1. Download the ZIP file
Download the file webeditor2009.zip to your PC, and then unzip it to your chosen folder.
2. The uncompressed ZIP fileAfter you have unzipped webeditor2009.zip, the destination folder should contain three files:
- Install_xx.html - this document, which describes each stage of the installation process in detail.
- Setup-Video.html - a setup video, which explains the installation process step by step. To view the video, you must be connected to the internet using a Flash-compatible browser.
- Setup2009.exe - the Installation Assistant, which installs WebEditor2009 using your chosen settings and contains all the files needed to run WebEditor2009 on your web account (e.g.yourdomain.com).
3. Uploading the WebEditor2009 files
WebEditor2009 is a server-side application, which means no files are installed on your PC. No modifications are made to your Windows registry, nor any other changes to your system settings. Your PC is used only to uncompress files and to upload the uncompressed files to your web account.
All the files that you need to run WebEditor2009 on your web account and to edit your website online are contained in Setup.exe in compressed form.
Double-click on Setup2009.exe to start the WebEditor2009 Installation Assistant.
- Click "Continue >".
- Confirm that you accept the licence agreement, and then click "Continue >" again.
You can choose one of two installation types:
- Installation on your web account (standard)
If you choose to install on a web account (e.g. yourdomain.com), the Assistant connects to your domain, copies the WebEditor files to this location, and then launches the program. You can now edit your HTML files online, theoretically from any PC in the world.
- Installation on a local web server (custom - localhost required)
Many PCs are able to simulate a web server, using a mode called "localhost". In this mode, your machine becomes a local server on which, using special software, you can test web pages and scripts without going online. Programmers often make use of this function.
Choose this installation type only if you are sure that localhost software supporting PHP scripting is installed on your PC.
The Installation Assistant uploads WebEditor2009 to your web server via FTP. An FTP client is the software with which you or your webmaster usually upload data to your domain. Your hosting provider will have given you the FTP access data for your domain (user name and password).
Please enter your FTP access data at this point, to enable the Assistant to establish an FTP connection to your domain. The installation directory is the directory on your domain to which the WebEditor2009 folder is installed. Click the "Browse" button to see a list of the directories on your website.
If you prefer, you can install WebEditor2009 to a subdirectory of your main directory. Simply select the appropriate subdirectory. Please choose your domains main folder first. This is the folder where all your HTML files are stored. Common names for this main folder are "html", "public_html", "htdocs", "htmlfiles" or "websites".
In the Web Server Login Information window, now click "Continue >".
After installation, the Assistant attempts to launch WebEditor2009 in your browser. At this point, enter the URL that you type in the address bar of Internet Explorer to access your WebEditor package. In most cases, you can figure out this URL automatically.
Example: You have selected "html" as your installation directory. This is the location of all the
HTML files for your domain. In this case, all you have to do is enter the URL of your website in
this field; for instance, http://www.mybusiness.com. If you have selected "html/subdirectory" as
your installation directory, you would type http://www.mybusiness.com/subdirectory.
If your web server is not currently running, you can at least copy all the data to your domain and restart the Installation Assistant later. In this case, check the box "My web server is not yet running".
7. Start the installation
- Click "Install" to begin installing WebEditor2009 on your web server.
- After all the files have uploaded, click "Finish" to launch WebEditor2009 in Internet Explorer.
8. Enter your password
A password dialog box appears. Your initial password is "internet". Type "internet" in the password field and then click "OK".
Please add this URL to your Favorites so that you can launch WebEditor2009 again in future.
Your screen is divided into three areas:
- File list – where WebEditor automatically lists all the HTML and text files found on your domain. To edit a file, just click on its name in the file list, and it will then load in the editor panel. You can show and hide the file list by clicking the toggle button at top right.
- Toolbar - works exactly the same way as in common word processors such as Microsoft Word.
- Editor pane – located to the right of the file list. After an HTML file appears in this pane, you can edit it. Simply select text and edit the file as you would in a word processor, using the buttons on the toolbar. You don't need any kind of programming skills.
Generally, WebEditor2009 automatically determines the necessary privileges. However, it may occasionally be necessary to modify file privileges manually, in which case a dialogue box containing further instructions will appear.
We would appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvements and new features.
Have fun with WebEditor2009!
The Developer Team,